Create More Connections Using “Projects” on LinkedIn

Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 7.01.18 PM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bw8LN0YNmM[/youtube]

I would like to say that I have a pretty good LinkedIn profile. 100% completed, WordPress tied into it, and everything completely filled out. My profile provides plenty of great information about me, my work, and my goals. Recently, while updating some new information, I saw the “Improve Your Profile” button to the right of the page (on the Edit Profile page).

LinkedIn Improve your Profile button

Improve my profile you say? How could I possibly resist that?! I clicked the glaring yellow button, at first only to find that it was asking me to add information about a couple of really old jobs that I was just getting ready to purge from my profile anyway. I skipped these steps and then was intrigued by the next option. LinkedIn asked me if I wanted to “Add a Project.” I thought for a second and decided that this could be a great way to put more emphasis on the guest blogging work that I’ve done, so I followed the prompts. Now I ask: HOW HAVE I NOT KNOWN ABOUT THIS FUNCTION BEFORE?! This is such a great way to connect to fellow collaborators via LinkedIn! I really think LinkedIn should put more emphasis on this portion of a profile page.

Here are some of the great features:

1. “Projects” allows you to name your project and input a URL. This then turns the title of the project into a hyperlink, leading the viewer of  your LinkedIn profile to the project’s website and thus creating an inbound link.
  2. You can specifically relate your project to a position that you hold or have held. This can be a great way to show off your expertise in a current or previous position by showing viewers evidence that you know your stuff.
  3. Emphasize relevancy by stating when this project started, completed or if it is still ongoing. The more current, the more likely viewers will be to check it out.
  4. There is a character limit-free (at least as far as I can see) Description space where you can add details to get people interested in the project itself. (Disclaimer: Be aware that this will show up on your LinkedIn profile, so be concise and to the point.)
  5. The best part is that you can add “Team Members.” If you are connected to your collaborators on LinkedIn, you can add them here and their name will appear as a hyperlink to their LinkedIn profile. You are not, however, limited to just your connections. You can still add other collaborators to the list and they will appear as plain text. I recommend using this as a reason to connect to someone on LinkedIn (or encourage someone to get a LinkedIn profile if they don’t have one.)

What a great way to show off teamwork and strengthen your connections on LinkedIn while also adding another inbound link for your website, blog, academic journal, or web-based project!

To add a Project to your profile, log in to LinkedIn and click “Profile” in the header bar. Just below the box that contains your main information there will be an area that looks like the below:

LinkedIn Add Sections button

Click on the “+Add sections” button and it will bring up a window with different options to add to your profile. Under the “Sections” heading, you will see an option called Projects (there are also other great options to add to your profile here). This will then allow you to input all of the above listed information. Be sure to use keywords in the description that are relevant, just like you would any other SEO. You want these Projects to make you more searchable for clients, prospects, potential employers and potential business partners. DON’T just list keywords though. Make it sound like a thesis or a complete summary that will give viewers an understanding of the project. This is also another opportunity that LinkedIn provides to let you sound like an expert on your topic of interest. Use it. In case you’re a more visual learner, I have also created a step-by-step video guide for adding “Projects” to your profile. Check it out here.

I’d like to send out a special thanks to Joost Kokke and Justin Whitaker for answering a question which aided in the creation of this blog post!

Have you already been utilizing the Projects section? Have you had any success with it? What are your thoughts on other ways to use this function? Chime in below!

Now go get your social on!

THIS POST IS STARR HALL APPROVED

From Guest Blogger- Rob Zaleski

24 Comments

• Thank you for this great information! Heading off to add projects to my profile!

• Rob Zaleski says:

Dooooo it! :) You’re very welcome for the info. It’s such a great way to connect, I couldn’t believe that I didn’t know about it before. Thanks for reading and commenting on the post, too.

• Great advice… I’d totally missed this.

Just added two projects and added my team. Thanks!!!

• Tim Reeder says:

If anybody is still monitoring this thread, I have a problem with LinkedIn “Projects” – – I have 7 or 8 on my profile. I have associated other people who worked on the projects. Some of those need to be edited. How do you EDIT a Project once you’ve entered it? I don’t see any way to go back in and edit the info associated with a particular project. Help?

• starrhall says:

Hi Tim, I am going to email you how to do this with a screen shot. Click on edit profile in upper tool bar, then scroll down to project and hover over the edit pencil. :)

• David Turner says:

Hi there.

I have recently been added by some of my connections as “Team Member” for some projects I did not work on – and want no connection with!

How do I remove myself from their project team member listing?

BTW – I was not asked for approval before my name was added (such as I am with recommendations) which is a major privacy/security concern.

I checked the FAQs at LinkedIn but found nothing concerning the ‘Project’ feature.

Cheers.

• starrhall says:

Hey David- click on edit profile in upper tool bar, then scroll down to projects, click on the pencil then scroll down and click on the “x” to remove yourself from project. :) Let me know

• Sarah says:

Hi,
    I have some project work that I would like to upload (such as a pdf) that are not tied to a website. Any idea how to upload them?
    Thanks!

• David says:

Hi,

Your recommendation of clicking on the edit in the toolbar didn’t work because it is for editing my own profile. I want to remove my name as a team member off some one else’s profile. How can I do that?

• starrhall says:

hmmmm, okay I just went onto my profile and clicked on edit profile from the tool bar, then scrolled down to the projects I listed as well as the one that someone else listed me on, I hovered over the pencil edit on the project that I was added on to and it prompted me to click edit, it then took me to next screen page that allowed me to remove myself from project. ????

• Will says:

Hi, LinkedIn “projects” is very useful for non-traditional employment events or for highlighting specialty components of traditional employment (stints on joint ventures, large long duration high impact projects etc) but I cannot, cannot find a way to have Projects appear in the LI mobile app (not to mention finding a way to ask LI). Since everyone seems to go mobile these days and Projects is becoming an important way of working, it seems like a LI design problem…unless I am missing something. Am I?

• starrhall says:

great input here, and yes you are right- it is not avail on Linkedin app yet. Errrrr. You can of course scroll to the bottom of the site and click on “Send Feedback” or go to- http://help.linkedin.com/app/home which I am assuming you have already done. I am hoping that it will be in the next round of revisions as well. Maybe reach out to http://www.Mashable.com and get them to find out for you and or do a a piece on it to get their attention. ?? – Starr Hall

• Hello Starrhall,
    Can you elaborate more on what would constitute as a project? For example, I wrote a guest post recently for the Smart Passive Income blog, which I am extremely proud about. Would that count?

• starrhall says:

A project in Linkedin is really for showcasing collaboration in my opinion, however I don’t see why you couldn’t list a project that you, yourself are working on. I like to list projects and tag other partners/contributors because it will tag me to their profile and give me showcase access to their connections. :) – Starr (PS- you just reminded me that I want to add more projects to my Linkedin profile, thank you)

• Nick says:

Hi, a question about projects.. I added projects section, few projects and project members(my first degree connections) for each project and made them all publicly visible on my linkedin profile but for some reason if some one clicks on the project members it is asking them to login into linkedin instead of pointing to their public profile.. I know some people on linkedin have a similar setup for their projects & patents and when I click on the members it takes me to their public profile… any idea what I did differently than those people..

thanks in advance for your help.
    N

• starrhall says:

This means that their profiles are not marked for public, they have them set private or they have limited viewing. Check with them on this. Let me know if this does not help, I can dig deeper. :) – Starr

• Thanks for the tips…you should also check your youtube settings for the video…Currently it is set to private which prevents viewing. :)

• Asma says:

How to delete project section?

• starrhall says:

Go to edit profile, scroll down and hover over pencil edit, click on that and it will allow you to delete the projects you have listed. Let me know if you need any more help with this. – Starr

• Scott Nash says:

Great information. Many thanks. As a corporate trainer, I’d like to use projects for specific client jobs and include those who I’m working with from the client organisation. From the information above, sounds like LinkedIn Projects is perfect for this?

• Justyna says:

Can I request a professional recommendation from a person I did a project with? Or I can only be recommended by my colleagues I worked with?
    Was looking if that function exists for projects but without a luck.